1. souse, n.5: 3. A drunkard. slang (chiefly U.S.). (OED)
  2. white souse, n.1: A blog for literature, politics, science, and the occasional cocktail.

Monday, September 1, 2008

Ta Nehisi-Coates and the Youtube lacuna

I just wanted to turn you on to Ta-Nehisi Coates, the newest blogger over at The Atlantic. He replaced by previous favorite blogger, Matt Yglesias, who's moved over to the Center for American Progress and blogs at Think Progress now. The CW on Coates: he references D&D, hip-hop and football daily. 'Nuff said. I may have to break up with Matt.

Anyway, Coates had a post about the great 49er Ronnie Lott, complete with Youtube vid; Lott was a walking back-field tomahawk who used to destroy running backs and receivers. I wanted to talk up my all-time fav from that category, Chuck Cecil. Listed at 188 lbs. (and probably less) he used to demolish all comers in the secondary for the Bears and later, Arizona. He hit so hard the NFL started to fine him for violating the spearing rule. They may have saved lives there. I used to keep clips about him and Junior Seau on the inside of my locker. Anyway, to make my case I tried to dig up youtube footage of some of his greatest hits. Nothing. WTF? I guess he never rated an NFL films tribute? That's BS. But here's a good photo. He looks a little crazy, right? And his nose was always like that.

No comments: