1. souse, n.5: 3. A drunkard. slang (chiefly U.S.). (OED)
  2. white souse, n.1: A blog for literature, politics, science, and the occasional cocktail.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ho-Hume

I've been wrestling with Hume *again* over the last couple of days. It's funny how, the first time you encounter something, it's impossible to gauge the long term impact it will have. I remember reading parts of _An Enquiry_ for the first time as an undergraduate, and resolving never to read him again. And while some resolutions are kept (I made the same promise regarding Lacan), I keep having to dig back into Hume. I've been working and reworking his discussion of probability. But, as maddening as this can get, I keep hearing the Monty Python "Philosopher's Drinking Song" -- i.e. "David Hume could out-consume Schopenhauer and Hegel." Just a spoonful of sugar...

Below's a live performance of the song.

No comments: