1. souse, n.5: 3. A drunkard. slang (chiefly U.S.). (OED)
  2. white souse, n.1: A blog for literature, politics, science, and the occasional cocktail.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Cyber Attacking the Atlantic?

Just got back from my bachelor party. Due to regional confidentiality agreements, I can only report that it was in a town named "the meadows" by 19th-century Spanish immigrants.

But I'm feverishly reading about the Iranian elections, and came across this post by Andrew Sullivan (who's been all over the story):


The Atlantic is struggling to keep the site up despite what seems to be a digital attack. Please be persistent in trying to reload.


If that's true, it would be a pretty remarkable indicator of where the digital age is heading. Welcome to the 21st century.

UPDATE: Sullivan has reported that their servers were only overloaded -- no "denial of service" attacks. This doesn't surprise me -- whereas I wouldn't put such a thing past a country with very sophisticated state digital infrastructure (say, China), in a place like Iran, where I'd assume most of the techies are liberals, it would have been remarkable.

No comments: